Just when we thought we have lived through the worst with the Samsung Galaxy Note 7, we are slapped with even more reports on devices exploding. Yesterday night, a woman named Amanda Bentz from Palm Harbor, Florida witnessed her Apple iPhone 6 Plus ablaze at around 3 AM.
Could this be due to its battery, just like in the Note 7 case? The bright flames and the sizzling sound woke her up. "I'm luckily a light sleeper, It literally blew flames right out the side of the phone.it singed my comforter, it my pillowcase right next to my head." says Amanda Bentz. Well, we'll have to wait on Apple to answer that.
Right down the street from her home, Greg Miceli returned from an out-of-town trip to find his phone misshapen from a battery explosion.
Fortunately, Bentz's husband too woke up and was successful in smothering the flames with his shirt. "It was not charging.It was sitting right next to my bed and I woke up, battery completely blown up", Miceli said. However, in this case the battery did not spontaneously catch fire.
Smartphones don't always need faulty batteries to go boom.
Her iPhone 6 Plus, which she'd owned for two and a half years, was covered in soot and melted plastic.
There were also previous reports which noted that an iPhone 7 Plus exploded when it accidentally fell on the ground in China and also an Australian surf instructor claimed that his week-old iPhone 7 caused a fire inside his auto.
An Apple spokesperson said the company was looking into exploding phones.
It would be a better idea for users of Apple's devices to maintain constant vigilance and to avoid sleeping with their phones on their beds at night. Furthermore, Apple has promised the woman a replacement.