Madras HC quashes government's order that reserves seats for state board students

MBBS BDS seat quota request for Tamil Nadu board students rejected by Madras high court

MBBS BDS seat quota request for Tamil Nadu board students rejected by Madras high court

Justice K. Ravichandra Baabu had, on 11th July, reserved the order on status of Tamil Nadu State government's order. Hence, students, those have engaged in NEET test can stay checking the official portal, tnhealth.org to Download Tamil Nadu NEET Rank List, Counselling Dates 2017.

The legality of Tamil Nadu government's order was challenged in the High Court by a batch of students belonging to the CBSE stream.

Since the President was yet to give his assent to the Bill, the government had chose to make admissions for MBBS/BDS courses for the academic year 2017-18 on the basis of NEET score by allotting 85% of seats available in the State government quota in both government and private colleges to those who had studied in State Board syllabus and 15% to CBSE students. Two others bills seeking exemption for the State from NEET were also passed by the State Assembly.

The reservation also indirectly meddled with the object and process of NEET and compromised on merits of selection. They argued about the plight of the state board students who had to take up NEET, which was helpful for students from CBSE board.

"If the state is not allowed to exempt itself from NEET and admit students based on class 12 marks, the state will adopt the policy whereby it will reserve seats for students from its board". As per the government's decision 85 per cent of MBBS and BDS seats would be reserved for students from Tamil Nadu board and the rest 15% for students from the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) and other board.

The TN NEET Rank list appears on the screen. Committee secretary G Selvarajan had said prior to the final order, "We have been asked not to release the rank list, but there is a lot of work to do and we have not stopped it". The applications have been received for admission into 23 state-run medical colleges holding 2,594 seats. Based on this Supreme Court Order the Directorate of Health, Tamil Nadu has to publish the Tamil Nadu NEET Rank List 2017 Today. Stay connected with ExamsWatch as this page will be updated with latest information on Tamilnadu NEET rank list 2017.

Recommended News

We are pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news.
Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.