London rejects Uber's license

Uber petition 500,000 people have signed

Uber petition 500,000 people have signed

Uber's current license expires at the end of September, but the company has 21 days to appeal and can continue to operate until there is another ruling. A petitioner from London told the BBC that he added his signature because: "Uber provides a much needed alternative to minicabs and black cabs".

"Leeds City Council has put in place some of the most challenging policies and conditions in the United Kingdom to ensure public and taxi passenger safety, with different regulations in Leeds compared to London which mean the safety and security issues raised by TfL are not applicable in Leeds", a spokesman said.

London's transport authority has revoked the license for taxi app Uber to operate in the British capital, and Londoners are freaking out.

"To defend the livelihoods of all those drivers, and the consumer choice of millions of Londoners who use our app, we intend to immediately challenge this in the courts", Uber said.

TfL said it took the decision yesterday on the grounds of "public safety and security implications".

"By wanting to ban our app from the capital, Transport for London and the mayor have given in to a small number of people who want to restrict consumer choice", according to a statement accompanying the petition.

Uber won its licence to operate in Liverpool a year ago - but could the U.S. cab hailing app face losing its licence in the city?

"If this decision stands, it will put more than 40,000 licensed drivers out of work and deprive Londoners of a convenient and affordable form of transport".

Uber, which is valued at about $70 billion and whose investors include Goldman Sachs, has faced protests around the world, including India, for shaking up long-established taxi markets and for not doing enough background checks on its drivers.

The company has already been forced to leave several countries, including Denmark and Hungary, and has faced regulatory battles in multiple USA states and countries around the world.

Uber enables users to book cars using their smartphones and is available in more than 40 towns and cities across the UK.

Ross, who acknowledged that the Uber issue is not one he is responsible for, nonetheless criticized European authorities for unfairly targeting American technology firms. "The safety and security of customers must be paramount".

"We have always followed TfL rules on reporting serious incidents and have a dedicated team who work closely with the Metropolitan Police".

Recommended News

  • Sabrina Quider Accused of Sophie Lionnet Murder & Burning

    Sabrina Quider Accused of Sophie Lionnet Murder & Burning

    The musician is now splits his time between Los Angeles and Vietnam, where he is a judge on the Vietnamese version of Pop Idol. DI Richard Leonard from the HMCC said: "A badly burned body has been found in the rear garden of this residential address".
    Bhoomi challenged me as a father and an actor: Sanjay Dutt

    Bhoomi challenged me as a father and an actor: Sanjay Dutt

    This turns the father-daughter duo into revenge-seekers, and they proceed to eliminate everyone connected to the crime one by one. The film's trailer got praises from all corners and thus we expect a power-pack performance by Sanjay Dutt in the film.
    The iPhone 8 launch in London was... muted

    The iPhone 8 launch in London was... muted

    If you head out to an Apple Store to pickup any of the company's newest products, let us know what you see down in the comments. Flappy Bird is just one of many 32-bit iPhone games that users who update to iOS 11 won't be able to play anymore .
  • Nuclear weapons will not bring security for North Korea: Tillerson

    Nuclear weapons will not bring security for North Korea: Tillerson

    President Donald Trump is again assailing North Korea Kim Jong Un , saying that he "will be tested like never before ". Trump announced new secondary sanctions on entities and individuals doing business with North Korea on Thursday.
    What happens if North Korea tests a hydrogen bomb?

    What happens if North Korea tests a hydrogen bomb?

    Colbert was particularly affronted by Ri's presence in NY for the G.A. while making his comments. The volley of insults continued Friday, as Trump sent out a predawn Twitter post berating Kim .
    Dominic Calvert-Lewin is taking 'big steps', says Everton manager Ronald Koeman

    Dominic Calvert-Lewin is taking 'big steps', says Everton manager Ronald Koeman

    SAM's verdictMost probable score: 1-0Probability of draw: 24%Probability of home win: 59%Probability of away win: 17%. Wayne Rooney could make his 400th Premier League start.
  • Moody's cuts UK's credit rating citing finances, Brexit

    Moody's cuts UK's credit rating citing finances, Brexit

    Moody's first downgraded Britain from AAA in 2013 as it claimed "growth would be sluggish over the next few years". Moody's has also changed the UK's long-term issuer and debt ratings to "stable" from "negative".
    Canadians evacuated, 168 asked for aid after hurricane Maria: minister

    Canadians evacuated, 168 asked for aid after hurricane Maria: minister

    General Assembly on Saturday, said his country was "going to need all the help the world can offer". "The country was devastated". With many villages only accessible by sea and by helicopter, communities continue to be cut off from everything.
    Midway Mark in Prep Football Tonight; Bryant Belts Cubs Over Brewers

    Midway Mark in Prep Football Tonight; Bryant Belts Cubs Over Brewers

    Santana, clubbed his 28th home run of the season earlier in the game, off of Cubs starter Jake Arrieta . Jay fouled off 10 consecutive pitches during that 15-pitch at-bat before hitting a single to right.
  • Kohli Eyes Dhoni's Captaincy Record in Third ODI

    The Australian cricketer, talking to Sky Sports Radio said, "I wouldn't be saying too much to Virat Kohli ". Argument between Wade and Kohli from the 2nd ODI.... "This is piddly crap", he added.
    Leicester City are double trouble for Liverpool and Jürgen Klopp

    Leicester City are double trouble for Liverpool and Jürgen Klopp

    Compare that to Mourinho's United , who slam down the shutters and kill the game off as soon as they are ahead. But we can not defend a set-piece with a 50-yard header so there will be an opportunity with the second ball.
    Myanmar bars UN from investigating Rohingya atrocities in Rakhine

    Myanmar bars UN from investigating Rohingya atrocities in Rakhine

    Ms Suu Kyi is banned from the presidency by the military-drafted constitution because her children have British citizenship. SULLIVAN: Suu Kyi insisted today that the military's so-called clearance operations have been over for a week now.

We are pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news.
Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.