South Africa's graft-tainted Zuma announces anti-corruption probe

ANC Women's League

ANC Women's League

DA leader Mmusi Maimane has cautiously welcomed President Jacob Zuma's decision to appoint a judicial commission of inquiry to investigate allegations of state capture.

Zuma announced on Tuesday evening a commission of inquiry into state capture would be established and led by Deputy Chief Justice Raymond Zondo to "investigate allegations that the state has been wrestled out of the hands of its real owners, the people of South Africa", but the details of the inquiry are yet to be released.

The North Gauteng High Court ordered at the end of previous year that the commission be set up within 30 days and the judge selected exclusively by Mogoeng, due to Zuma's conflict of interest.

The announcement has sparked comments and conversation on Twitter.

"There is nothing under the sun stopping president Zuma or any president from initiating twenty judicial inquiries into state capture by white monopoly capital".

The Constitutional Court had ruled almost two weeks ago that MPs failed to hold Zuma accountable for the millions in public money used to upgrade his personal residence.

Analysts said the move might help Mr Zuma distract attention from the first top-level ANC meeting since Cyril Ramaphosa, the deputy president, replaced him as party leader, threatening to end his presidency before his second and final term officially draws to a close in 2019.

"The matter can not wait any longer", he said, adding: "I have chose to appoint a commission of inquiry".

"The ANCWL is confident that the Commission of Inquiry will not be influenced by any prior judgements passed through courts of public opinions which were instituted by neoliberal media houses", Matuba said in a statement.

Pressure has been mounting on Zuma to step down after last month's national elective conference which saw Ramaphosa succeed him, as ANC stalwarts and the party's allies, the SACP and Cosatu, stepped up their calls for Zuma to be ousted at on Wednesday's meeting.

South Africa's main oppostion Democratic Alliance (DA) cheered the creation of the probe.

In 2014 Zuma had failed to abide by recommendations made by the country's anti-corruption watchdog over $15 million (12.5 million euros) of taxpayer-funded refurbishments at his personal home in the eastern KwaZulu-Natal province.

Mr Zuma has survived two previous attempts to fire him at the NEC since the public protector's initial report into the allegations of state capture by the Guptas.

The claim incensed safe-sex campaigners - not least because Zuma was head of the country's national AIDS council at the time.

Recommended News

We are pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news.
Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.