MH370 Search Ends With No Answers

GETTY    
   MH370 What happened to the doomed Malaysia Airlines Boeing 777

GETTY MH370 What happened to the doomed Malaysia Airlines Boeing 777

"We understand the feelings of the relatives but we can not allow the search to go on forever", Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad told reporters after chairing a weekly Cabinet meeting.

The head of a USA technology company that scoured the Indian Ocean seabed for more than three months looking for Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 said on Wednesday he was disappointed the hunt failed to find wreckage and hoped to take part in some future search.

A USA marine survey firm that resumed the search for a missing Malaysia Airlines Boeing 777-200 early this year said May 29 it is concluding the operation.

PM Mohamad said that although it is impossible to search for something that can not be found, however, if new evidence emerges then the search operations for the missing flight may resume.

Flight MH370 disappeared with 239 people on board while en route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing in March 2014.

The latest search for the missing aircraft came to end Tuesday after searching 112,000 sq.kms without finding the wreckage.

The three countries agreed in 2016 that an official search would only resume if they had credible evidence which identified a specific location for the wreckage.

Among the 239 passengers on-board the Malaysian Airlines aircraft was Kranti Shirsath, a resident of Pune.

Speaking on Monday, the Malaysian transport minister, Anthony Loke, said the US-based company had requested an extension to conclude its undersea search for the missing plane.

Bailey said that search was 1,200km north of where he and other aviators believed the plane was likely ditched by pilot Zaharie Ahmad Shah.

He promised full disclosure in the final report on MH370. "It's important for people to remember that MH370 is not history", she told the Guardian.

The Malaysian government has stated that it was not planning to start any new searches.

The decision to engage Ocean Infinity came after Australia, China and Malaysia ended a fruitless A$200 million (S$203 million) search across a 120,000 sq km expanse of the Indian Ocean past year.

Asked whether everything will be included in the report including the police investigation into the crew and the pilots, Loke said, "Everything".

Voice 370, which represents families of those aboard the flight, in a statement had urged the new government to review all matters related to the jet's disappearance including "any possible falsification" or elimination of maintenance records and any omission that may have impaired tracking, search, rescue and recovery of the plane. "We were hoping that someday there will be news about the remains of the aircraft".

So far, 27 fragments of the plane have been recovered at beaches in Reunion, Mozambique, Mauritius, South Africa and Pemba Island (Zanzibar), after they followed the currents of the Indian Ocean, according to the official hypothesis of the disaster.

Recommended News

We are pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news.
Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.