Harvey Weinstein Pleads Not Guilty To New Charges, Won’t Face Home Confinement

Film producer Harvey Weinstein is led handcuffed by police into his hearing at Manhattan Criminal Court

Film producer Harvey Weinstein is led handcuffed by police into his hearing at Manhattan Criminal Court

Weinstein's storied career as one of the most powerful men in Hollywood was torpedoed past year following an avalanche of sexual assault and harassment allegations by some 80 women.

He was indicted on new charges of Criminal Sexual Act in the First Degree for a forcible sexual act against a woman in 2006 as well as two counts of Predatory Sexual Assault.

"Mr. Weinstein maintains that all of these allegations are false and he expects to be fully vindicated", Brafman said.

The 66-year-old disgraced Hollywood mogul was escorted by elbow into the court room in handcuffs, his face pasty and pale, and dressed in a dark suit, white shirt and dark tie.

'He is doing as well as can be expected for someone under these circumstances, ' Brafman said.

Now out on $1 million bail, the father of five on June 5 pleaded not guilty to allegedly raping one woman at a Manhattan hotel in 2013 and forcing another to perform oral sex on him in 2004. Prosecutors Monday pushed for Weinstein to be confined to house arrest in New York City, CBS2's Natalie Duddridge reported.

Under a US$1 million bail agreed May 25, Weinstein is allowed to travel within the states of NY and CT, where he is living.

Judge James Burke agreed that Weinstein can stay in CT providing he continues to abide by the terms of the bail.

Weinstein previously forfeited his passport and is fitted with an electronic monitoring bracelet.

"A Manhattan Grand Jury has now indicted Harvey Weinstein on some of the most serious sexual offenses that exist under New York's Penal Law", Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus R. Vance Jr. said in a statement.

Haleyi said Weinstein forcibly performed oral sex on her in 2006 in what appeared to be a child's bedroom in his Manhattan apartment.

"Any suggestion that Mr Weinstein raped anyone based on the evidence that I have in my possession already is a ludicrous suggestion", defence attorney Benjamin Brafman told journalists after the hearing.

If you are a survivor of the predatory abuse with which Mr. Weinstein is charged, there is still time to pursue justice. In an impromptu press conference on the steps of the court house, Brafman said he had emails to defend Weinstein and added that "he is not a rapist or a predator".

Allegations detailed in Pulitzer Prize-winning stories last October in the New York Times and the New Yorker drove the #MeToo movement.

Gloria Allred, who said she represented the unnamed third alleged victim in Weinstein's case, challenged Brafman to put Weinstein on the witness stand to defend himself. In addition to the assault claim that brought him to court Monday, Weinstein is accused of raping an unidentified woman in a hotel room in 2013 and forcing a former actress, Lucia Evans, to perform oral sex at his office in 2004. Dozens of women have come forward in recent months to accuse the producer of assaulting or harassing them.

Recommended News

We are pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news.
Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.