Joshua branded coward by Wilder after box office unification fight falls through

Alexander Povetkin with WBA Inter Continental & WBO International Heavyweight TitlesMore

Alexander Povetkin with WBA Inter Continental & WBO International Heavyweight TitlesMore

After it was announced last week, though, that AJ's next opponent would be Russia's Alexander Povetkin in September, it's left many fight fans wondering when the two will meet, or if Joshua will ever face the Bronze Bomber at all.

The boxing community was in an outrage yesterday when it was determined that a heavyweight showdown between Anthony Joshua and Deontay Wilder was officially dead for 2018.

It was previously reported that the WBA gave Him 24 hours so he agreed to fight with Povetkin.

"We want to beat Povetkin, we want it to be the undisputed fight, but this is a tough fight against Alexander Povetkin, but I believe Joshua beats every heavyweight", said Hearn to Sky Sports.

Eddie Hearn, the promoter of WBA/IBF/WBO heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua, recently sent this text message to ESPN: "We have waited over a week for (Deontay) Wilder's comments on the contract and on Sunday and in the media we were told they will be back with their comments this Friday, almost two weeks after it was sent".

Wilder responded to news that he would not be Joshua's next challenger with a foul-mouthed rant on twitter.

"We're disappointed, but we're not surprised", said Wilder co-manager Shelly Finkel, who turned 74 on Wednesday, said about the deal falling apart. And that gives Joshua another opponent besides Wilder, in which his name on the contract means a super fight in the United Kingdom....and he may not even have to be at his best to beat the overweight and rusty Fury. On what planet does that make sense to anybody? The past few weeks was nothing more than a power play by Joshua and Hearn to reveal how far Wilder's team was willing to go on the table, knowing full well they were going to stick to their guns the whole time. Shelly says, 'They made a bulls- offer and we chose to accept. "So basically, he can tell me next year, but he can't tell me a date for this year", Finkel said.

"Who on earth waits almost two weeks to get back regarding a fight they supposedly want so badly? Therefore, it was a two-fight deal for $20 million", Hearn said. By fighting these guys, Wilder can't say he's afraid to fight him. "Come back with the comments on the contract and we'll work it out [for April]".

Recommended News

We are pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news.
Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.