One dead, two injured, in Melbourne stabbing incident

A vehicle can be seen on fire in Bourke Street Melbourne

A vehicle can be seen on fire in Bourke Street Melbourne

A man with a shopping trolley is being heralded as a hero after putting himself in harm's way on Friday when he jumped in to help police take down a man who stabbed three people in Melbourne's CBD.

Police initially responded to reports of a vehicle on fire at the corner of Bourke and Swanston streets.

The suspect was rushed to the hospital under police guard and later died, Ashton told reporters.

Officers said they "are not looking for anyone further at this early stage" and there was no immediate evidence of an ongoing threat related to the attack.

Two officers got out of the auto and attempted to engage him.

Two others remain in hospital. The man was shot in the chest by police.

"Today, more than ever, we offer our thanks to Police and first responders for the unbelievable work they do for all of us".

Police shot a knife-wielding man after he fatally stabbed one person and injured two others in the centre of Australia's second-largest city.

About 6pm, police confirmed the victim had died.

"Three people have been stabbed".

The suspect was was hospitalized in critical condition.

I praise the bravery of the police who were on the scene and took action and those who selflessly came to the assistance of the injured and provided comfort to the distressed. Another man tried to ward him off with a traffic cone.

Police were responding to reports a auto was on fire.

The utility truck carrying barbecue gas cylinders burned on busy Bourke Street just before the evening rush hour as the driver stabbed bystanders and attacked police.

Later, a man was arrested after he was shot at the scene and taken to a hospital under police guard in a critical condition.

Police later said the two wounded men were aged 26 and 58.

"The exact circumstances are yet to be determined".

The man described as an eyewitness as "Muslim" went on a stabbing rampage after ramming his vehicle through pedestrians which later "exploded" in Bourke Street, Melbourne in the evening rush hour. She heard someone start screaming "he's got a knife". There was a man and two police officers trying to calm him down.

Witnesses have described hearing a loud bang during the incident.

Trams are not running along Bourke Street or Swanston Street in either direction.

Police are treating it as a terrorist incident.

Neapoli Cafe in Russell Place has been closed, with staff remaining there and waiting for further instructions from police.

"He was facedown, facedown, and there was a lot of blood". "There's only staff here, police told us to stay".

As he ran to the entrance, he saw about 40 people sprinting past in fear.

Recommended News

We are pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news.
Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.