Arrest in Australian cold case made famous by podcast

Lynette Dawson went missing in 1982. Pic NSW Police Force

Lynette Dawson went missing in 1982. Pic NSW Police Force

As fans of the podcast will know, her husband Chris, a former rugby player and PE teacher at a local high school has always been suspected of involvement.

His lawyer made an application for bail, which was opposed by police.

Detective Superintendent Scott Cook said the 70-year-old was "calm and a little bit taken aback" when arrested on Wednesday morning.

Ms Dawson disappeared from Sydney's northern beaches on January 9, 1982. She was aged 33 at the time.

The former rugby league player allegedly moved his teenage lover into the family's Bayview home just days after Lyn went missing.

Dawson denies killing his wife, and says she left home at the time of her disappearance to get some time to herself.

He continues to maintain he had nothing to do with his wife's disappearance.

Mr Dawson will face a NSW court later this week.

An application for bail was refused by Queensland magistrate Dennis Kinsella and Dawson was taken into custody of NSW detectives.

Cook told reporters detectives were "confident" about their case against Mr Dawson despite not knowing where Lyn's body was.

Mr Dawson held his head in his hands as the magistrate made his decision.

"A 70-year-old Coolum man was arrested by detectives from the Queensland Police Service's Homicide Squad in the presence of Strike Force Scriven investigators at Biggera Waters, on the Gold Coast, in Queensland", NSW police said.

Ms Dawson's disappearance has been the subject of a popular podcast
Image Lynette Dawson's disappearance has been the subject of a popular podcast

A number of airlines said they were reluctant to carry Mr Dawson due to his high profile and the potential of it becoming a security risk.

Queensland Police confirmed to 10 daily a man was arrested on Wednesday on the Gold Coast.

Additional evidence collected during the investigation which lead to the arrest was made up of mostly witness statements, NSW Police Commissioner Mick Fuller told reporters on Wednesday.

The case has been brought back to light following hugely successful crime podcast The Teacher's Pet, produced by The Australian.

In a statement, the Dawson family said it was disappointed. "I wouldn't have written to the DPP otherwise", he said.

"We have no doubt whatsoever that Chris will be found not guilty as he is innocent".

Dawson's disappearance has remained unsolved for 37 years.

"We spoke to the family of Lynette Dawson this morning, who were certainly relieved to hear this result and from their perspective, they have asked for some patience in terms of their confidentiality in going forward", he said.

Police have been criticised for not investigating the disappearance properly.

Earlier this week, the ODPP provided advice to police, and following further inquiries, NSW Police detectives applied for an arrest warrant before travelling to Queensland.

He said two witness statements in particular helped piece the evidence together.

Recommended News

We are pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news.
Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.