Jayme Closs case: Suspect saw parents as 'barrier' to kidnapping

Jake Thomas Patterson

Jake Thomas Patterson

As Jayme Closs starts her road to recovery following her kidnapping, investigators are trying to piece together what happened during the almost three months she was in captivity.

Ten minutes after Jayme was found, Patterson was pulled over and arrested.

"Right now at this point in time, I feel that it's very, very vital for her to build those relationships with her family because, unfortunately, her family was brutally torn apart", Smart said.

Barron County Sheriff Chris Fitzgerald has said he believes Patterson went to the property with the intention of taking Jayme.

"All this was going through my head, that my place wasn't safe", she said.

Gayle King spoke to Closs' relatives in Barron, Wisconsin, about how the teen is doing. Did she go with him to the store?

"Jayme had a pretty good night sleep", she wrote, "It was great to know she was next to me all night, what a great feeling to have her home".

Kasinskas said she told the 911 dispatcher: "Jake Patterson, Jayme, this is real". "Thank you is all I can say because I think God got sick of us nagging him so he answered our prayers", Trowbridge added.

What's unclear, however, is how and why Patterson - from the remote community of Gordon, two counties from Barron - allegedly chose Jayme for kidnapping.

In June 2002, Smart, then 14, was abducted at knifepoint from her Salt Lake City, Utah, home, and held captive by couple Brian David Mitchell and Wanda Barzee for nine months.

It is not yet clear how Patterson became aware of Jayme, especially since he lived an hour away. She is now Jayme's legal guardian.

Nutter told reporters she knew the young girl needed help and took her inside. The call came in from Denise Closs' cell phone.

The power of prayer reaching all the way from Cameron to where Jayme was being kept in a rural home in Gordon where she had the strength to escape. Police collected more than 3,500 tips but no hard leads emerged.

Police arrived to find the door kicked in, Jayme missing and her parents dead. Nutter said Jayme did not have a coat or gloves.

"She said to us that, 'This person killed my parents and took me, '" Kasinskas said. "I don't know much about them besides being warned about them being troublemakers". Patterson is expected to make his initial court appearance on the charges on Monday.

During the service they took a moment to pray for Jayme and her family and also to thank all of those who searched endlessly for her since October.

She was rescued by police in Sandy, Utah, on March 12, 2003, when witnesses recognized her from an episode of "America's Most Wanted".

Recommended News

We are pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news.
Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.