Mourinho takes TV pundit job after denying Benfica link

Reuters  Carl Recine

Reuters Carl Recine

Mourinho is said to have rejected the chance to return to his former club, deeming it too early in his career for a return to Portugal.

Jose Mourinho has spoken on what the future holds for him following his recent sacking from Manchester United and refused to rule out a return to Inter.

The improved contract United agreed with Mourinho a year ago was due to run until the end of the 2019-20 season, with an option of a further season.

The 55-year-old was linked with a move to replace Rui Vitoria at Benfica few days after being sacked by the Premier League outfit.

Mourinho's first fully-fledged job as a manager was with the Eagles where he took over from former Bayern Munich boss Jupp Heynckes in 2000.

Nearly as soon as Jose took his marching orders from Old Trafford last month the former Manchester United boss has been linked with a return to Real.

Sunday's 2-0 defeat at home to Real Sociedad was Los Blancos' sixth of the season, which saw them fall 10 points behind league leaders Barcelona.

Real are struggling to claw their way back up the La Liga table under new boss Santiago Solari and are thought to be considering an approach to their former manager, who won La Liga with the club in 2011-12.

"When a professional returns or is invited to return to a club it is a tremendous honor". I don't really want to go there, but the best way to respect a great club [Benfica] and a great president is to say that I was not offered.

He said on the prospect of returning: "They are things that are said and I will not feed".

The Daily Mail reports that a source close to Mourinho confirmed the compensation has been paid. It's not a gamble in the dark, the clubs are trying to hire a player or a coach they know because they've already been there.

Mourinho and Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino are the front-runners for the job when Real do make a decision on Lopetegui's long-term successor, but the latter is not available at the moment and is likely to cost more than £40m to get out of his contract in north London.

Recommended News

We are pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news.
Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.